French Beach Provincial Park is located on the west coast of southern Vancouver Island on the Straight of Juan de Fuca. It’s a great day trip or weekend camping getaway, and is only about an hour and fifteen minute drive from Victoria on Highway 14.
French Beach Provincial Park Facilities
Not only does the park boast a beautiful beach, but visitors can also enjoy the picnic area with barbecue pits, hiking trails, a playground for kids. Other park Facilities include 69 vehicle accessible campsites, located in the forest approximately a 5-10 minute walk from the beach, a sani-station, pit toilets and fresh water.
Tips For Visiting the Park
There are a few things to keep in mind when visiting French Beach or any provincial park in BC:
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle. Thieves are active in the area and are not shy to break into cars while you are out enjoying the beach. Make sure you take your valuables with you and lock your car before heading to the beach.
- Respect the wildlife. There are all kinds of wild animals on Vancouver Island, including bears and cougars. Be aware of your surroundings and if you happen to come across local wildlife, do not feed or approach it, and give it lots of room.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Use sunscreen and bring a hat. No one likes a sunburn and skin cancer is largely preventable. Be sun smart.
- Pack it in, pack it out. If you bring a picnic to the beach, make sure you pack out all your garbage and dispose of it in the waste cans provided. No one likes a litterbug, please keep our beautiful parks clean.
- Be aware of the tide. Tide Tables are posted at trailheads. Remember to add one hour to the listed tidal times during May to October as Daylight Savings Time is in effect. The currents can be quite strong and kayaking and canoeing is not recommended here.
- Camping Reservations. This is a very popular campground, so I recommend you make a camping reservation to guarantee yourself a spot. The campground is 100% reservable so chances of getting a last minute, spontaneous campsite are slim. Reservations are available from May 15 to August 31.
For more information about the French Beach Provincial Park, or to make your camping reservation, please visit the BC Parks website.